Thursday, March 25, 2010

Eco-Journal: Louisville part 1

For my Environmental Ethics class I am keeping an Eco-journal about 5 main topics: cars, food, animals, energy use, and the Louisville environment.

What environmental problems do you see around your city/neighborhood/campus?

1. Bottled Water. Every day I witness students and teachers carrying and drinking from #1 (PETE) plastic containers which are not safe to reuse and are not recyclable in the traditional sense of turning a resource into more of the same quality of resource. I'd really like for everyone to stop drinking bottled water, but I think that most people don't see it as a potential problem.

That is why I have committed myself to starting a Tap It! campaign on UofL's Belknap campus. Many universities around the world have made the steps to become free of bottled water. Just last year WASHU, University of Portland, and Brown University made the change. The first step is to raise awareness through informational pamphlets and a Tap Water Challenge featured at UofL's Earth Day festival. I hope to see you there!


2. Flower Burglars. I know this sounds really silly, but in my neighborhood (Old Louisville) there is a serious problem of flower burglars stealing bushes, flowers, small trees, and potted plants from people's front yards. These flower burglars come in several forms. First, there are the types that dig up a whole plant (in order to re-sell or re-plant in their yard) and second are the people that simple pick the colorful head of the flower (to sell or simply give to strangers).

Two days ago I heard someone singing outside my window. I looked and saw an older man holding a big bouquet of yellow tulips in his left hand and plucking more with his right. I know this man because last spring he has tried to sell me the same flowers. A couple years ago the city planted hundreds of yellow tulips on the small sidewalk plots of grass along Oak Street. I bet they didn't realize that they were fueling the flower burglar economy.

The problem is a). that the plants cannot pollenate without the blossoming head b). it's stealing and c). I'd love to plant a row of sunflowers in front of my fence, but I know that someone would either dig them up or pluck off the head.


What are the most pressing environmental problems facing Louisville today?

I think that the most pressing environmental problem facing Louisville today is air pollution, particularly carbon dioxide. Last year Louisville, KY was ranked the #1 city for worst spring allergies. I believe that a large percentage of Louisvillians would not have developed allergies (or such severe allergies) had it not been for the serious air pollution problem. Currently, scientists have been been finding a significant correlation between air pollution and development rates of asthma (and other similar medical conditions). I think that biggest reason that I hate air pollution is because it hits young children (0-14 years) the hardest. I feel like we have a responsibility to the future generations to clean up our act.


Are individual-level solutions required or likely to be effective? How about structural/political solutions?

Both individual-level and political actions are absolutely needed to make the necessary changes for a better future. First, a body of people need to be educated about an issue in order to work together and encourage their political representatives to make legal changes in the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment