Monday, January 18, 2010

Personal Transportation

For my Environmental Ethics class I am keeping an Eco-journal about 5 main topics: energy use, food, cars, animals & plants, and the Louisville environment.

Eco-journal Entry #1-Energy Use
Collect Data

Warm Season (above 30 degrees)
How many miles do you drive in a given week: 0
How many miles are you a passenger in a given week: 10/2=5
How many miles do you ride on a TARC in a week: 0
Carbon output based on miles driven: 3.23 lbs.
Approximate annual emissions: 873 lbs.
(CO2 emissions from a gallon of gasoline = 19.4 pounds/gallon)

Cold Season (below 30 degrees)
How many miles do you drive in a given week: 0
How many miles are you a passenger in a given week: 10/2=5
How many miles do you ride on a TARC in a week: 10/10=1
Carbon output based on miles driven: 8.78 lbs.
Approximate annual emissions: 790.5 lbs.
(CO2 emissions from a gallon of gasoline = 19.4 pounds/gallon)
(CO2 emissions from a gallon of diesel = 22.2 pounds/gallon)


bag lady cart + laundry = one load of fun

Analysis
Should you be a passenger less? Yes. Carpooling is great, but Jeff and I are pretty fit people and can easily bike around town.
Could you drive less? I could definitely bike more during the warmer season. All it would take is a little patience and planning.
What factors contribute to miles driven? Weather, temperature, and amount of luggage.
How much control do you have over those factors? I feel like I don't have a lot of control over the weather or temperature. But I do feel control over my luggage load. Biking to the grocery store isn't very difficult and neither is biking to do laundry (check out the photo-though now I walk it 5 blocks to the laundry mat). NOTE: I dry my clothes with the power of the sun. I hope to create an easy way to haul stuff on my bike with materials I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment